Domestic violence and abuse
Are you sometimes violent and/or abusive at home?
There are no excuses for violence but you're here because you know that what you're doing is wrong and that you want to stop. That's a good thing. There are people who can help.
There may be a lot of reasons that contribute to you being violent or abusive. Perhaps:
- you are upset about something
- you feel that you have no control over your life
- you may be stressed
- you have grown up around violence and abuse
The fact that you are reading this means that you know what you are doing is wrong.
- Abuse, whether physical, mental or verbal, ruins lives.
- You may be causing a lot of damage to your family.
- It can be hard to stop unless you get some help.
You might feel embarrassed or ashamed about what you have done. However:
- you cannot keep blaming other people
- if you don't stop you may lose the people you love
- you might never have a good relationship with another person unless you learn to change
What can you do?
The best thing to do is talk to someone about how you are feeling and why you are being abusive. It may be hard to talk to your family about it, if so: