Get Involved with the Metropolitan Police Service
Get the facts
Want to do something positive for yourself and your community?
Get unique experiences and skills for life with the Metropolitan Police Service.
- The Metropolitan Police Service is London's biggest employer, with over 33,000 police officers.
- It covers 32 boroughs but doesn’t include the City of London, which is policed by the City of London Police. The transport network is policed by the British Transport Police.
- Over 14,000 members of police staff carry out more than 200 different roles to help support police officers to give London an effective police service.
- Police staff roles include helicopter pilot, horse trainer, crime researcher, nurse, press officer and crime scene manager to name a few.
- You can apply to become a police officer from the age of 18.
- All Metropolitan police officers and police staff receive an extra payment to help the extra costs of living in the capital - this is called ‘London weighting’.
- After training a Metropolitan police officer will earn over £30,000 a year.
- If you are over 18 you can apply to become a Metropolitan Police Volunteer and support us to make London the safest major city in the world.
- Special opportunities for young people include work experience and the Police Cadets.
- You can also get involved with one of our other schemes specially set up for young people such as Kickz and Met-Track.