The Metropolitan Police Service is committed to ensuring our services are accessible to the community that we serve. In particular, we recognise the need to take reasonable steps to enable access to our website for those with impaired sight or other disabilities.
Keyboard access keys and Tab Index
The following table shows keyboard shortcut commands available within this site. These commands are designed to help users who have difficulty in using pointing devices such as a mouse. Depending on your browser type use one of the following:
- 0 - Accessibility
- c - Skip to content
- n - Skip to navigation
- m - Site Map
- 1 - Home
- 2 - level 2 links e.g. Concerned about someone, Done something you're worried about, Getting pressure from your friends, Been a victim and need some help?
- 3 - level 3 links e.g. A friend, A family member, your child
- 4 - level 4 links e.g. Getting into something they shouldn't?, Worried they're a victim?
- 5 - The facts
- 6 - Consequences and the law
- 7 - Campaigns and videos
- 8 - Other help and advice
- 9 - How to contact us
- g - Want to know how you can get involved with the Metropolitan Police Service?
In Internet Explorer the access keys are used by holding down the ALT key and pressing the access keys listed above, then pressing "ENTER" or "RETURN".
In the Windows versions of Firefox the access keys are used by holding down the ALT + SHIFT keys and pressing the access keys listed above.
In OS-X on the Mac, Firefox 2 and Safari access keys are used by holding down the CTRL key and pressing the access key.
You can also Tab through all the links on a page using the TAB key
The text can be resized in different browsers by the following means:
- PC / Internet Explorer 6: From the top menu bar, select View and point to Text size
- PC / Internet Explorer 7: From the menu bar underneath the search field, select Page and point to Text size
- PC / other browsers Increase text size: Hold down the CTRL key and press + Decrease text size: Hold down the CTRL key and press -
- Mac / all browsers Increase text size: Hold down the Command key and press + Decrease text size: Hold down the Command key and press -
- All pages include a standard top bar for easy navigation.
- A site map is available to aid site navigation.
Many links have title attributes which describe the link in greater detail, unless the text of the link already fully describes the target.
All content images used on the home page and all other pages include descriptive ALT attributes.
No images settings in browsers
All pages conform at a minimum to Level A compliance as specified by the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines. The majority of Level AA and Level AAA requirements are also met.
We strive to obey the spirit of the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) with respect to the provision of services online, as required by the Disability Rights Commission (DRC).
- This site is valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional.
- This site uses valid CSS 2.0.