Anti-social behaviour including graffiti

Have you been the victim of anti-social behaviour?

There are many types of anti-social behaviour, but they all have a big impact on victims. You might be:

  • scared to leave the house
  • worried or depressed
  • losing contact with friends
  • feeling alone

Everyone has the right to go about their lives without fear. You do not have to put up with anti-social behaviour in any form.

What can you do?

The most important thing to do is to tell someone it's happening. If you are experiencing anti-social behaviour, your friends and family might be too.

  • talk to your parents or an adult you trust
  • talk to a teacher
  • talk to your Safer Schools Officer
  • talk to friends about it
  • keep a diary of what happens and when

If you do decide to tell the police or local council, they can take action, but you need to be very clear about what is going on. Writing down everything that has been happening will:

  • make it easier to explain how you have been affected
  • help when putting together evidence to allow action to be taken

How to report it

  • You could go to your nearest police station or speak to your local Safer Neighbourhoods Team. If it's an emergency and someone is in immediate danger call 999.
  • For more information visit the ‘Reporting crime’ section on the Metropolitan Police website or the ‘How to contact us’ page on this site.
  • Also, your local authority might have an anti-social behaviour hotline. Check your local authority website for details.
  • If you have friends or family who are suffering in the same way as you they should report it as well; the more people reporting it, the more likely it is to be stopped.

Getting more help

For more information about anti-social behaviour visit our ‘Get the facts’ or ‘More help and advice’ pages.

For other related topics, take a look at our sections on bullying and gangs and group violence.

Being the victim of anti-social behaviour can be upsetting and traumatic. If you feel speaking to a professional in confidence will help, you can call a free helpline like ChildLine. See across for details.

ChildLine is the free helpline for children and young people in the UK, Children and young people can call 0800 1111 to talk about any problem.

Victim Support
Victim Support is the independent charity for victims and witnesses of crime right across England and Wales. Their services are free of charge and confidential. Call the support line on 0845 30 30 900.