Anti-social behaviour including graffiti

Has a member of your family been the victim of anti-social behaviour?

Anti-social behaviour can be frightening and upsetting. If anti-social behaviour is happening to your family, it's probably affecting you too.

Anti-social behaviour comes in lots of different forms and how someone is affected by it can vary. To find out what types there are visit our ‘Get the facts’ page.

It's very important that you or other family members do not get angry and look for ways to get revenge:

  • you could end up in trouble
  • the problem could get worse
  • your family may suffer more

There are lots of things that you can do, as a family. Consider the following:

  • keeping a diary of what's happening
  • making sure friends, your teacher at school, or other responsible adults know about it
  • telling your Safer Schools Officer or local Safer Neighbourhoods Team
  • contacting your local Anti-social Behaviour Team (usually based in the Council)

Who to talk to

  • Contact a specialist charity

Report it

If the family member in question doesn't want to talk to anyone, you could do it for them. It might feel like you're doing something behind their back, but it won't stop until something is done.

Getting more help

For more information about anti-social behaviour visit our ‘Get the facts’ or ‘More help and advice’ pages. This includes links to websites such as ‘Victim Support’ and ‘Youth Justice Board’.

For other related topics, take a look at our sections on bullying and gangs and group violence.

Being the victim of anti-social behaviour can be traumatic whether it's your brother, sister, mum, dad or other member of your family.

If it is your brother or sister that's affected you could encourage them to think about speaking to a professional in confidence on a free helpline like ChildLine or chat online to a CyberMentor. See right for details.

Adult family members might want to call Victim Support. See right for details.

ChildLine is the free helpline for children and young people in the UK, Children and young people can call 0800 1111 to talk about any problem.

Victim Support
Victim Support is the independent charity for victims and witnesses of crime right across England and Wales. Their services are free of charge and confidential. Call the support line on 0845 30 30 900.