Has a member of your family been bullying someone?

Bullying can be difficult to deal with especially if someone you know is involved. If a member of your family is bullying someone else at home you might also be affected, and feel unsure about what to do.

Whatever the case, if your brother or sister, another family member, or maybe even your mum or dad is bullying someone, no matter who the victim is, they are likely to feel the same way:

  • upset or scared
  • that there's nothing anyone can do to help them
  • that if they do something about it things will get worse

What can you do?

Most importantly - the bullying must stop. If you have the type of relationship with them in which you think they will listen to you, encourage them to talk to someone:

  • If it's your brother, sister, or someone of a similar age to you, maybe they should talk to an adult family member that they can trust.
  • They could talk to their teacher at school.
  • A professional in confidence at ChildLine on 0800 1111 - they won't have to give their name so if they're worried about owning up to what they've been doing, you can tell them not to worry.
  • They can also contact a specialist charity
  • They could also talk to their Safer Schools Officer

If you don't think they'll listen to you, you could talk to someone yourself.

Report it

If you think it's getting really bad and they're being violent or abusive to someone, perhaps you feel you need to report it, even if you know they'll get into trouble. It's better that they get into trouble now before things get worse and someone ends up hurt. Most types of bullying aren't normally a matter for police but if someone is hurt or a crime has been committed you must get in touch.

  • Contact your local police station or Safer Neighbourhoods Team - if it's an emergency and someone is in immediate danger call 999.
  • You don't have to talk to the police if you don't want to; instead, you can call the Crimestoppers charity anonymously on 0800 555 111.
  • Or for more information visit the ‘Reporting crime’ section on the Metropolitan Police website or the ‘How to contact us’ page on this site.


ChildLine is the free helpline for children and young people in the UK. Children and young people can call 0800 1111 to talk about any problem.

Visit the ChildLine site here.

Need more help? Visit our ‘More help and advice’ page.