Are you worried a member of your family is being bullied?

Bullying happens to lots of people and can be really difficult to deal with. But if it's happening at home you might also be affected, and feel it's even harder to cope.

If it's someone else in the family who's the bully, you'll need to treat the situation differently to an instance where they are being bullied by someone outside of the family.

Whatever the case, if your brother or sister, other family member, or maybe even your mum or dad is being bullied they might feel:

  • upset or scared
  • that there's nothing anyone can do to help them
  • that if they report it things could get worse

But you can help them in lots of ways.

  • Give them support - talk to them about it if you feel you can.
  • Suggest to them that they keep a diary of what's happening.
  • Encourage them to get help; if it's another young person in your family they should talk to an adult they trust or they can call a helpline such as ChildLine on 0800 1111.
  • If they don't feel they can talk to someone themselves you could do it for them.

Who to talk to

  • Talk to your teacher or another adult you trust.
  • Contact a specialist charity
  • Call ChildLine; you can speak to a professional in confidence without even having to give your name.
  • If the bullying is happening at school contact your Safer Schools Officer. Most types of bullying aren't normally a matter for police unless someone is hurt or a crime is committed. But one of the jobs of the Safer Schools Officers is to help teachers prevent bullying so they will want to know what's going on. Find out how to contact your Safer School Officer here.

Is it getting serious?

Remember - if whoever in your family has been physically attacked or assaulted, then the police must get involved. As well as speaking to your Safer Schools Officer there are other ways to report a crime:

You might also want to read

Depending on who is involved in the bullying you might want to also read our section on domestic violence and abuse.

Getting more help

If your brother, sister or other member of your family is not ready to talk to someone they know, but do want more advice, encourage them to look online or call for more help. Take a look at our ‘More help and advice’ page.


ChildLine is the free helpline for children and young people in the UK. Children and young people can call 0800 1111 to talk about any problem.

Visit the ChildLine site here.