How to contact us

The Metropolitan Police Service is here for London 24/7. Weíre committed to making it quicker and easier for you to get the service you need from us.

Who to contact

There are many reasons why you might want to get in touch with us, and not just to report a crime, so itís important that we provide a number of different ways for you to do so.

How to report a crime

You can call 101 to report a crime that has already happened, seek crime prevention advice or make us aware of any policing issues in your local area.

By calling 101 or using our online crime reporting service when an immediate police response is not required helps keep 999 available for emergency calls.

An emergency is when a crime is happening, someone suspected of a crime is nearby, someone is injured, being threatened or in danger.

So if a crime is taking place, or somebody is in immediate danger, always call 999.

If you are deaf, deafened, hard of hearing or have a speech impairment, you can use a text phone to call us:

  • Dial 18000 in an emergency
  • Dial 18001 101 if it is not an emergency situation.

If you have trouble speaking English our operators have access to interpreters who can quickly translate calls.

Crimes can also be reported online

You can report some crimes, including mobile phone theft and criminal damage online by using the main Metropolitan Police Service website. Click here to submit your report or find out which crimes are suitable for online reporting.


Contacting your local police station

In situations that do not require an immediate police response, another way to report a crime is to contact your local police station, usually in the area where the crime has occurred.

You can call your local station by phoning 101 and asking them to put you through, or walk into any police station that has a front counter office open to the public. You or another member of your family can even arrange for us to come and visit you at home if thatís easier or more comfortable for you.

Call 101 to find out which police station is best for you.

Alternatively, visit the main Metropolitan Police Service website for a list of all London police stations including their addresses and opening times.

Other ways of reporting crime to us

For further information on how you can report crime to us you can visit our 'Reporting crimes' page on the main Metropolitan Police Service website.

Other ways you can contact us

Safer Schools Officers

Safer Schools Officers are police officers or Police Community Support Officers (PCSOs) who have been appointed as members of the Safer Schools Partnership. The partnership's role is to work with schools to:

  • help keep you and your fellow pupils safe
  • reduce crime, but also reduce the fear of crime
  • help to improve peoples' behaviour in the school and surrounding area
  • develop positive relationships between pupils, police and the community

As part of the Safer Schools Partnership, police officers and PCSOs regularly work at schools on a full time or part time basis. Find out more about police officers and PCSOs in our 'Get involved' section.

An officer who works within your school is there to listen to things that concern you. They will then work with you, your teachers and other local organisations to address those issues.

Find out if your school has a Safer Schools Officer

If you haven't already met your Safer Schools Officer and want to find out if your school has one, you can ask a teacher in your school to find out. Or if your school doesn't have a Safer Schools Officer assigned then you can contact your Safer Neighbourhoods Team.

Community Safety Units

For certain very sensitive issues you might want to discuss with us such as hate crime, honour based violence or domestic violence, we have Community Safety Units. Every London borough has one with specially trained police officers to investigate these types of crimes.

Find out more about Community Safety Units on the main Metropolitan Police site.

Other options

Crimestoppers is an independent charity working to stop crime across the whole of the UK. If you have information about any type of crime but would rather not speak to the police you can call the Crimestoppers charity anonymously on 0800 555 111 or visit their website here. You won't have to give your name and your call will not be traced.

The Sharp System
This is a scheme set up for schools across the UK, and stands for 'School Help Advice Reporting Page'. Many schools have signed up to it allowing their pupils to confidentially report any problems that they have inside and outside of school - and not just crimes. For further information and to find out which schools in London are involved in the scheme click here.