Honour based violence

Are you worried someone in your family is involved in honour based violence?

If you think someone in your family is involved in honour based violence or any activity that may be associated with it such as forced marriage, threatening behaviour or verbal abuse, it's important to talk to someone about it. Your situation might seem very scary and you could be involved somehow yourself, but remember, you can help them stop before it goes too far.

Honour based violence

Tell someone:

  • It might be very difficult to talk to someone in your own family because you might not know who's side they're on, but do try to speak to someone you trust, or another responsible adult outside of the family and outside of your community.
  • You could also speak to a teacher at school.

Or, if you're ready to report it - do, it's important to prevent others falling victim to serious crime.

Another way to get in touch is to come into any police station at any time or we can arrange to visit you at home or somewhere else if that's easier or more comfortable for you.

You could even ask someone else to speak to us on your behalf, like a friend or relative, a teacher or a solicitor. You could also ask someone from your local authority, housing association or advice bureau to speak to us . The most important thing is that you speak to someone.

Our Community Safety Units

The Metropolitan Police Service has made it a high priority to tackle honour based violence with special Community Safety Units located in each of our 32 boroughs. We will investigate all instances of honour based violence, even in cases where there is only a small amount of information or where a victim has not reported it themselves.

Getting more help

For more information about honour based violence visit our ‘Get the facts’ or ‘More help and advice’ pages.