Honour based violence

Has your child been a victim of honour based crime?

Discovering or suspecting that your child has been, or might become, the victim of honour based violence can be incredibly upsetting. While it's normal to feel guilty or ashamed and your loyalties might be torn, it's vital that you now take action and seek help to protect your child and the rest of your family.

Give them support

They'll need to talk. But your child may find it difficult, especially where family loyalties are at stake, which is understandable. They may also need reassurance whose side you are on, so be patient with them.

Don't keep it quiet - report it. You and your child can come into any police station at any time. Or we can arrange to visit you at home or somewhere else, if that's easier or more comfortable for you.

We take all reports of honour based violence very seriously and deal with each individual case sensitively and confidentially. All instances of honour based violence are investigated, even in cases where there is only a small amount of information or when a victim has not reported it themselves.

To take action and report an incident of honour based violence:

You can talk to us yourself or ask someone else to speak to us on your behalf, like a friend or relative, a community leader or a solicitor. You could even ask someone from your local authority, housing association or advice bureau to speak to us on your or your child's behalf . The most important thing is that you speak to someone.

Our Community Safety Units

The Metropolitan Police Service has made it a high priority to tackle honour based violence with special Community Safety Units located in each of our 32 boroughs. We will investigate all instances of honour based violence, even in cases where there is only a small amount of information or where a victim has not reported it themselves.

Getting more help

For more information about honour based violence visit our ‘Get the facts’ or ‘More help and advice’ pages.