Drugs and alcohol

Is your child involved in selling drugs?

For very good reasons, the law places tough penalties on those who deal in drugs. If you think your child is involved in dealing, you should seek help straight away. Your primary concern will always be your own child, but bear in mind the parents and their children on the other end of this criminal activity.

It can be difficult to establish the facts because of the secretive nature of drug dealing. Young people can sometimes be moody or distant with no obvious explanation or reason so it is important not to jump to conclusions. But if you do have suspicions, you should talk to your child.

What can you do?

  • Talk to your child about their fears, hopes and aspirations.
  • Never judge them - this might push them away.
  • Get involved - find out who their friends are.
  • Try to set consistent boundaries for them.
  • Do some research. There are some excellent websites with full and comprehensive information about different drugs and their effects. Start with the Talk to Frank site. Your child may be more willing to talk if you are as informed as them.

Talk to someone else:

  • another parent you trust
  • their teacher at school

Or report it

If you think it's getting bad, perhaps you feel you need to report it, even if you know your child will get into a bit of trouble. It's better they get into trouble now than get into much more serious trouble later:

  • You can contact your local police station or speak to your Safer Neighbourhoods Team - if it's an emergency and your child is in immediate danger you should call 999.
  • If you feel unable to talk to us you could contact the Crimestoppers charity anonymously on 0800 555 111.
  • Or for more information visit the ‘Reporting crime’ section on the Metropolitan Police website or the ‘How to contact us’ page on this site.

Getting more help

For more information about drugs and alcohol visit our 'Get the facts' or 'More help and advice' pages.

Drugs and alcohol