Hate crimes

Have you been a victim of hate crime?

If you've been experiencing hate crime you may well feel very upset and scared.

You could be being targeted in a number of different ways:

  • ‘hate’ related bullying
  • personal attacks of any kind, including violence
  • written or verbal threats or insults
  • damage to property, including graffiti
  • threatening or abusive phone calls, emails and Instant Messages (IM)

If it is linked to bullying take a look at our dedicated section. Either get the facts about bullying, or read our section: ‘Are you being bullied and need some help?’.

What can you do?

No matter how hard it might seem you must talk to someone about it:

  • Tell your parents or a responsible adult.
  • Talk to your teacher
  • Speak to a professional at an organisation like ChildLine

If you feel ready to report it:

You can also report some hate crimes to non-police organisations such as those listed below. For more information visit our ‘More help and advice’ page.

Come in and see us

You can also come into any police station, anywhere in London, or we can arrange to visit you at home, if that's easier or more comfortable for you. You can talk to us yourself or ask someone else to speak on your behalf, like a friend or relative, a community leader or your solicitor. You could even ask someone from your local authority, housing association or advice bureau to speak for you - or bring a friend in for support. The most important thing is that you speak to someone.

Our Community Safety Units

The Metropolitan Police Service has made it a high priority to tackle hate crime in all its forms with specialist Community Safety Units located in each of our 32 boroughs. We investigate all hate crime, even in cases where there is only a small amount of information or when a victim has not reported it themselves. And we record all incidents brought to our attention whether or not a crime has been committed.

Find out more about how we're tackling hate crime on the main Metropolitan Police website

Getting more help

If you want more advice, look online. Visit our ‘More help and advice’ page.

Or to speak to someone in confidence you could also try the following:

ChildLine is the free helpline for children and young people in the UK, Children and young people can call 0800 1111 to talk about any problem.

Hate crimes