Knife crime and gun crime

Have you been the victim of knife or gun crime?

If you've been a victim of knife or gun crime, you're probably going through a whole mixture of emotions - fear, anger, pain. Perhaps it was a random attack, or maybe you're in a gang and this was always going to happen sooner or later. Maybe you get bullied and the bullying has got a whole lot worse.

If the police haven't already been notified, then you or someone close to you should contact them straight away by speaking to your Safer Schools Officer, your local Safer Neighbourhoods Team, or by going to your nearest police station.

If it's an emergency, and you still feel like you're in danger you need to call 999. Find the best way to contact us here.

Report it

If you don't want to make the call to the police, perhaps speak to someone like a parent or teacher - they can make the call for you.

  • You also don't have to talk to the police if you don't want to. You could call the Crimestoppers charity anonymously on 0800 555 111. Your call will be treated in the strictest of confidence - you do not need to give your name, and your call will not be traced.
  • If you've been threatened but not injured it is still a matter for the police and must be reported for your own safety.

What to do next - get more help

Being injured by a knife or gun is no doubt one of the worst things that has happened to you. Even being threatened with a weapon can be incredibly frightening. Don't be embarrassed to seek out expert help - you need support and there are lots of ways for you to speak to someone anonymously.

Getting more help

For more information about knife and gun crime visit our ‘Get the facts’ or ‘More help and advice’ pages.

For other related topics take a look at our other sections on bullying and gangs and group violence.