Knife crime and gun crime

Has a member of your family been a victim of knife or gun crime?

If someone in your family has been a victim of knife or gun crime, you're probably going through a whole mixture of emotions - fear, anger, pain.

You or another family member should contact the police if they haven't already been notified by speaking to your Safer Schools Officer, your local Safer Neighbourhoods Team or, if it's an emergency, call 999.

If they've been threatened but not injured it is still a matter for the police and must be reported.

Find the best way to contact us here.

How can you help?

Depending on what type of incident they've been involved in, your family member may be experiencing many types of emotion:

  • fear
  • anger
  • denial (pretending it didn't happen)
  • pain
  • loneliness
  • depression

Even if they're getting help from friends or other members of the family, they probably need you more than ever. You need to be there for them. Things don't just go away. They may want to retaliate but this will only makes things worse.

Encourage them to speak to the police if they haven't already. If you don't think they're going to make the call, perhaps speak to another family member or call the police yourself.

  • You could go to your nearest police station or speak to your Safer Schools Officer or local a Safer Neighbourhoods Team. If it's an emergency and you or they are in immediate danger call 999.
  • If you feel unable to talk to the police, you could contact the Crimestoppers charity anonymously on 0800 555 111. (You don't have to give your name and your call will not be traced).
  • Or for more information visit the ‘Reporting crime’ section on the Metropolitan Police website or the ‘How to contact us’ page on this site.

If you think there might be more to it than a one-off incident and that maybe your brother, sister or other family member being threatened or injured by a weapon has something to do with them being bullied, take a look at our bullying pages. Either get the facts about bullying, or for more detailed information on how you can actually help them read ‘Are you worried a member of your family is being bullied?’.

What if it they've been seriously injured or worse?

Knife or gun crime injuries can be severe. If they've been seriously injured or died as a result of their injuries the police will be doing all they can to investigate the incident and find the person responsible. Perhaps you also need help getting over such a terrible experience or you're worried it might happen to you. You need help and support.

Getting more help

For more information about knife and gun crime visit our ‘Get the facts’ or ‘More help and advice’ pages.

For other related topics take a look at our other sections on bullying and gangs and group violence.