Knife crime and gun crime

Has your friend been a victim of knife or gun crime?

If a friend of yours has been a victim of knife or gun crime, you're probably going through a whole mixture of emotions - fear, anger, pain.

You, or someone close to your friend, should contact the police if they've not already been notified by speaking to your Safer Schools Officer, your local Safer Neighbourhoods Team or, if it's an emergency, call 999.

If they've been threatened but not injured it is still a matter for the police and must be reported.

Find the best way to contact us here.

How can you help?

Depending on what type of incident they've been involved in, your friend may be experiencing many types of emotion:

  • fear
  • anger
  • denial (pretending it didn't happen)
  • pain
  • loneliness
  • depression

Even if they're getting help from their family and other friends, your friend probably needs you more than ever. You need to be there for them. You might be one of the only people they feel they can be honest with.

Encourage your friend to speak to the police if they haven't already. If you don't think they're going to make the call, perhaps speak to someone like a parent or teacher, or call the police yourself.

  • You could go to your nearest police station or speak to your Safer Schools Officer or local a Safer Neighbourhoods Team. If it's an emergency and you or your friend are in immediate danger call 999.
  • If you feel unable to talk to the police, you could contact the Crimestoppers charity anonymously on 0800 555 111. (You don't have to give your name and your call will not be traced).
  • Or for more information visit the ‘Reporting crime’ section on the Metropolitan Police website or the ‘How to contact us’ page on this site.

If you think there might be more to it than a one-off incident and that maybe your friend being threatened or injured by a weapon has something to do with them being bullied, take a look at our bullying pages. Either get the facts about bullying, or for more detailed information on how you can actually help your friend read ‘Are you worried your friend is being bullied?’.

What if it they've been seriously injured or worse?

Knife or gun crime injuries can be severe. If your friend has been seriously injured or died as a result of their injuries, the police will be doing all they can to investigate the incident and find the person responsible. Perhaps you also need help getting over such a terrible experience or are worried that it might happen to you. Maybe you've even been threatened to stay quiet.

Getting more help

For more information about knife and gun crime visit our ‘Get the facts’ or ‘More help and advice’ pages.

For other related topics take a look at our other sections on bullying and gangs and violence.